Congratulations for enrolling in a rug hooking course. Your experience means a lot to me. If you have any trouble, please get in touch with me.
Assemble your pattern
- Click on the download link in the lesson
- Click on the download button on this new page:
- Save the file wherever you save downloads
- Find the file and open it.
- Click on File then Print, click Print.
- Keep the pages in order. It makes it a lot easier to assemble.
- There is a skinny and wide margin on each vertical and horizontal side. Cut off the skinny margin, marked in yellow below on page 2.
- Tape the pages together by putting the cut edge over the wide margin of the next page.
- Trace the pattern onto red dot.
- On the backing of your choice, draw a rectangle the size of the outline of your printed pattern. Use a pencil and draw the lines in the ditch. Leave at least 4″ of excess on each edge. I personally prefer at least 8″.
- Pin the red dot on top of the outline you drew in pencil. The rectangle may match up perfectly, but odds are it won’t. Pin one edge only along one line. Now tug on the backing until the other lines line up.
- Pin the rest of the pattern in place.
- Slowly trace the inner lines of the pattern using a black Sharpie Industrial.
- Remove the red dot and trace the straight outer lines you drew in pencil with marker.
- Secure the edge of the backing so it does not unravel. Use a serger if you have it. I zig zag the edge by placing the backing so that the needle moves back and forth over the edge of the backing. If you don’t have a sewing machine use masking or duct tape. Today you can find duct tape in almost any color and in many patterns. What you use is not important because this will be cut off when you finish the edge of the rug.
- Now color Plan your rug and start hooking!